Stylist Article – July 2016
The Board of Barbering and Cosmetology Needs You
Have you ever thought of becoming an expert consultant?
Most licensees are familiar with Board’s inspection program in which the Board may issue a citation for a violation of its regulations. But for more serious cases involving harm to consumers, the Board may take formal disciplinary action that can lead to a license being placed on probation or even revoked. In these instances, the Board uses experts gleaned from the ranks of the professions themselves to evaluate the evidence against a licensee and, if need be, testify as a witness at administrative hearings.
This is where you come in. As an expert consultant, you will review case materials and investigative reports, prepare written opinions, and possibly testify at administrative hearings involving licensees accused of incompetence, gross negligence, or unprofessional conduct.
An expert consultant must possess the following minimum qualifications:
- A current and active license in his or her profession;
- The license must be in good standing with no prior disciplinary actions or convictions, no pending investigations and no outstanding administrative fines;
- The applicant must be currently working in the specific field of expertise and have 10 years of experience in that field;
- A current, working knowledge of the Board's laws, rules and regulations;
- Consistent, ongoing face-to-face client contact;
- Strong persuasive writing skills with the ability to express ideas logically and critically;
- Willingness to serve as an expert consultant for two consecutive years.
Expert consultants are paid $35 per hour for a maximum of five hours for case review and preparation of the expert opinion, and $35 per hour plus expenses if called to testify at an administrative hearing. Expert consultants participate in anywhere from two to ten cases a year.
If you meet the qualifications listed above and wish to be considered by the Board as an expert consultant, please visit the Board’s Web site at http://www.barbercosmo.ca.gov/enforcement/expert_form.pdf to obtain an application. Mail the application to the Board at P.O. Box 944226, Sacramento, CA 94244, Attn: Jennifer Porcalla.