Stylists Article - March 2017
Licensees often have questions concerning the regulations, policies and general workings of the Board of Barbering and Cosmetology, but aren't sure where to turn for answers. Often, they will pick up the phone. But one of the most important resources available to licensees is at their fingertips: the Board's Web site at www.barbercosmo.ca.gov.
It would be a good idea for people working in the barbering and cosmetology professions to take the time to familiarize themselves with the Web site in advance. That way, when questions arise, you'll have some idea of where to look for answers. And, chances are you'll come across a bit of information of which you were unaware. Providing licensees with all the information they need operate according to the laws of the state of California is a major priority of the Board and the Web site is an important tool for fulfilling that goal.
The following is some of the information that is available on the Board's Web site and where to find it:
- What's New: For the latest doings of the Board, check out the "What's New" column. Here you can find information about new regulations, or a task force, or a Board meeting.
- Laws and Regs: Do you need a copy of the Board's rules and regulations? Click on this link at the top of the Board's home page and you can print yourself a copy in PDF format in English, Spanish, Vietnamese and Korean.
- Forms/Publications: Do you need a replacement license? Are you moving out-of-state and need a California license certification sent to your new home? Are you a salon owner who needs information about your responsibilities under California law? Click on the Forms/Publications link at the top of the page. You will find all the necessary forms as well as question-and-answer and fact sheets on a number of topics. Some of the most important fact sheets describe how to clean a foot spa and the various instruments that are prohibited in California salons.
- Upcoming Events: Under this heading, you will find information about outreach events held by the Board, as well as Disciplinary Review and regulatory hearings.
- Quick Hits: They provide information on a number of topics, including the schedule for Board meetings, how to join the Board's mailing list, frequently asked questions, a license verification link and so on.
- BreEze: Click on the BreEze icon and sign up for the Board's application tracking system. You'll be able to submit forms and pay fees and other charges online.
The above is just a small sampling of what is available. The Board's Web site is there to help you stay informed. Make sure you stop by often for updated information.
New Board Officers Named: Dr. Kari Williams was elected Board President at the Board's January 22 meeting. Ms. Williams, of Los Angeles, has served on the Board since 2013, and was recently reappointed by Gov. Jerry Brown. Williams has been owner at Mahogany Hair Revolution Salon and Trichology Clinic since 2007. She was a hair stylist at Eclectic Salon from 2006 to 2007. Williams earned a Doctor of Philosophy degree in trichology from the Elan Center for Trichology and a Master of Arts degree in anatomical and nutritional study from the International Institute of Trichology. Andrew Drabkin, 48, of Sacramento, was elected Vice President of the Board at the same meeting. He has served on the Board since 2013 and was recently reappointed by Gov. Brown. Drabkin has been a database analyst for SEIU United Healthcare Workers since 2015. He was director of information technology for the California Democratic Party from 2010 to 2014, where he was deputy director of information technology from 2006 to 2010. Drabkin was staff at Phil Giarrizzo Campaign Consultants from 1999 to 2006.